Thursday, July 13, 2017

blatantly BHAKTI

On my birthday in conversation with Mahala [fave and only child of mine] I declared that with each passing orbit around the sun I choose more and more to be blatantly Bhakti.

Art by Mahala Urra

We both got such a thrill over this that Mahala made this graphic illustration to celebrate the occasion.


I love the balance of this - how very Yin and Yang it is captures who I am. Mahala knows me so well and put this all together visually.

Here's how it all breaks down. Staring at the root of the words, blatant and bhakti.



The Merriam Webster definition of blatant is:

  1. noisy especially in a vulgar or offensive manner :  clamorous
  2. completely obvious, conspicuous, or obtrusive especially in a crass or offensive manner :  brazen blatant disregard for the rules
(1596) coined by Edmund Spenser ("blatant beast"). Probably a variation of *blatand (Scots blaitand), present participle of blate, a variation of bleat, equivalent to blate +‎ -and. See bleat.

I do clamor - a lot. Definitely with less polish and restraint than what is considered socially polite or politically correct. I am brazen. I burn bright. I do bleat when I'm whiny which thank god isn't often.


The definition of bhakti is devotion to a deity constituting a way to salvation.

The Sanskrit word bhakti is derived from the verb root bhaj-, which means "to divide, to share, to partake, to participate, to belong to". The word also means "attachment, devotion to, fondness for, homage, faith or love, worship, piety to something as a spiritual, religious principle or means of salvation".

When I started out on my spiritual path, I had a mentor who dubbed me Mother Teresa and advised me to apply my ferocity with the sainted mother's compassion.

Both bossy and well intentioned, my fires needed to be tempered.

Later, my first yogic initiation earned me the spiritual name Bhakti to express passionate love of God in my devotion and service.

At times passionate expression booms over my voice and action. At times love wins and hearts are touched.

Often I remind myself to be forward feeling rather than merely current looking. This is the key to my salvation.

Being forever me day by day in an upward evolving spiral. I Am.

1 comment: