Friday, August 30, 2019

YOUer than you


To honor Mahala and her new decade, I steal the staggeringly beautiful words of David Whyte.


Detail of Unicorn Hunt from Geinhausen, Germany
Altar Antependium "Marienteppich" [late 15th century]

SEEING YOU

I want you 
to see
yourself
the way
I sometimes 
see you.

I want you
to see 
yourself
with the 
self-same
eyes
that have me 
shy
of telling you
what I see.

I want you
to come across
your self
and see
yourself,
the way I did
that first 
morning,
as a beautiful
incredibly 
kind 
and inviting
stranger.

I want you
to knock
gently on
your 
own door
and stand there 
astonished
as I do
unable
to speak
to the one
who has come
out to meet you.

who forgot 
his message
to Mary,
and could only
fall back
to singing 
her praises,
stuttering and
overwhelmed
as he was,
by the untroubled 
beauty 
of her soul.
SEEING YOU from THE BELL AND THE BLACKBIRD
Poetry by David Whyte - APRIL 2018 © David Whyte and Many Rivers Press

No comments:

Post a Comment