Sunday, May 27, 2018

what makes our heart sing

What is my vocal culture? What is this term exactly? How do we define what it means? 

Simply put it is the music genre, style or art form one resonates with the most. The one that touches and inspires me. The one I can listen to all day everyday. The one that brings me joy and enlivens me.

Dayak Maiden, Borneo

Among the many different vocal styles, there are - sacred, secular, Baroque, Classical, Renaissance, Romantic, solo, choral, operatic, madrigal, jazz, pop, etc.



Popular music encompasses blues, jazz, country music, easy listening, hip hop, rock music, and several other genres. There may also be a subgenre within a subgenre such as vocalese and scat singing in jazz.




My Iberian roots and growing up in the 70s, what tugs on my heart the most is the sustained wail of a steel stringed guitar. Acoustic or electric, once fingers deftly slide up and down those frets, my soul soars.



George Harrison introduced us all to Ravi Shankar and I grew to love Indian ragas and the sitar too. This naturally led to chanting mantras in long soulful, extended breaths.




Through the years I've moved through a variety of musical preferences - depending on my focus. Awakening and inspiring me. Infusing and possessing me. Moving and raising me up and about.




Music to get me going. Giving me direction and clarity. Soothing nerves and unblocking what's stuck. Artistic accomplishment I admire. Egging me to push the envelope. Enveloping me in atmosphere.




Angelic vocal expressions and projections. Lyrics and melodies coursing up and down registers and scales along my vibrating spine.




Percussion and rhythms that throb through every cell and space in my body. Traveling beyond and exploring through fantastical tangible and imagined journeys and adventures.




Moving through time and space. Navigating cultures and traditions foreign and homegrown. Expanding external horizons and interior perspectives.




Kindling and igniting. Inspiration and insight. Discovery and exploration. Expanding and enlightening.




Fun! Fun! Fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment