Sunday, February 14, 2016

heartfelt happiness

Mid life woman 
you are not
invisible to me.
I seem to see 
beneath your face 
all the women 
you have ever been. 


Midlife woman
I have grown with you 
secretly, 
in another parallel, 
breathing with you 
as you breathed,
seeing with you 
as you see, 
lining my face 
with an earned care 
as you lined yours, 
waiting for you, 
as it seems 
you waited for me.

I see your 
inner complexion
breathing beneath 
your outward gaze,
I see all your lives 
and all your loves,
it must be for you 
that I wanted to become
more generous, 
a better man
than ever I could be
when young,
let me join all your
present giving 
and all your receiving,
through you I learn 
the full imagination 
of every previous affection.

Mid life woman
you are not 
invisible to me,
in you
I see a young girl, 
lifting her face to the sky,
I see the young woman 
in haloed light, 
full and strong,
standing before 
the altar of time, 
waiting for her chosen.

I see the mother in you, 
in your past
or in some yet
to be understood
future,
I see you
adoring and 
I see you adored, 
and now, 
when I call your name 
I want to see 
day by day, 
the woman 
you will become 
with me.

Mid-life woman 
come to me now, 
I see you more clearly 
than all 
the airbrushed 
girls of the world.

I became a warrior 
only to earn 
your present 
mature affection, 
I bear my scars to you, 
my eyes are lined
to smile with you
and I come to you 
uncultivated 
and unshaven 
walking rough
and wild through rain
and wind and I pace 
the mountain
all night
in my happy, 
magnificence 
at finding you.

Mid life woman,
In the dark of the night 
I take you in my arms
and in that embracing 
invisibility feel all of your 
inner lives made touchable 
and visible again.

Mid-life woman 
I have earned 
my ability to adore you.

Mid life woman
you are not invisible to me.
Come to me now 
and let me kiss passionately 
all the beautiful women 
who have 
ever lived in you.
My promise 
is to you now 
and all their future lives.

Mid Life Woman from 'The Sea In You
Twenty Poems of Requited and Unrequited Love
© David Whyte and Many Rivers Press

No comments:

Post a Comment