Sunday, August 9, 2015

summer breeze

Summer breeze makes me feel fine
Blowing through the jasmine in my mind

Sweet days of summer, the jasmine's in bloom
July is dressed up and playing her tune


"Summer Breeze" is a pop song originally written and recorded by Seals and Crofts and released in 1972.

We used to sing it with my cousins the first time I moved out and set off for college. Big changes were unfolding in my life on personal and externalized levels. 

Rebel that I was against my parents’ restrictive authority at home in our sleepy provincial town - I was so ill prepared to deal with the reality of Martial Law imposed at our state university where I enrolled. 


Just like the song I came with sweet dreams and a rosy naiveté - sheltered all my life and lacking in much experience.

All of 17 years - pumped on dreams and drive, delusional and eager to grab onto this flashing comet of a wild ride - too innocent and ignorant to realize any risks or danger.

I fell in love and broke my heart, my romanticized ideals were both burnished and tarnished - my petty superficial self exposed to much more than I ever imagined. 


In the process having joy and pain both expand and deepen my well of being.

Gratefully and to this day each summer resurrects those memories and emotions - reigniting these dreams and drives - instilling and distilling what I was and what I hoped to be into who I truly am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment