Saturday, May 23, 2020

the land I love

May 22 is World Biodiversity Day, in 2020 it is a crucial moment in deciding what is best for our environment. Humans have erred grievously by putting ourselves before the needs of our Earth.


In just a few short months of forced lock down we are experiencing how nature quickly recovers balance when we remove ourselves and let things be.



In The Overstory by Richard Powers a question is raised, "if the trees of this earth could speak, what would they tell us?" 

"Listen. There’s something you need to hear." Are we ready to listen? Has the world wound down enough to hear their voice? 



I moved here last year, on the ridge overlooking the Hudson River, where Weehawken and Union City meet. Close enough to watch New York City across the water. Far enough to have clear skies overhead and clean air to breathe. 



The property is marked on all four sides by huge guardian trees that have been sentinels on this land long before the town or city were founded here. 

This special tree is my daily morning trigger - as I look out and across an expansive vista. One made more valuable in self isolation and solo quarantine. 


The other day DPW came by to shave of  some branches high up on one of them. It wrenched my heart to see the raw cut rings on its dark trunk. 

What gives us the right to shave off what we please, leaving this sacred giant so marred and wounded? Did anyone take the time to check and ask, may I come into your field of energy? 



Why not? Who designated humans the overlords and separate from the rest of the planet? No wonder we are so deeply troubled today. 

For our convenience and comfort we sacrifice valuable resources and put much in harms way. It is no wonder the natural world chooses to no longer be a willing or cooperative partner. 


carried up to my landing

I quickly ran downstairs to retrieve one of the slighter limbs. I imagined I could save it and turn parts of it into healing tools in my work as a holistic and natural healer. I felt the need to salvage my damaged spirit. 


wilted limb in a bucket of water

How have we humans lost all compassion and respect? We so easily turn our back on what nurtures and nourishes us. 


perking up only a few minutes later

Isn't it time to return to co-creating with our surroundings before we are disowned altogether? Hand in hand. Heart to heart. 


No comments:

Post a Comment