Sunday, May 5, 2019

around the block & a world of difference

After months of agonizing, I have finally moved into my very own Casa Azul.


For the past ten years I have lived in Hudson County. Moving from Hoboken to Union City. Then to Weehawken and now back to Union City once more. My favorite barrio!

Hoboken, New Jersey

Weehawken, New Jersey

Union City, New Jersey

Since I moved up the ridge my apartments have been about three minutes walk from each other. All of them have been located around the reservoir park.

Stars on the map indicate places I lived.

It is obvious I love this area and have come to call it home.

It is incredible how different they are today even if they are so close together or from when early Dutch settlers took it over from the Native Americans.

Troy Towers on Mountain Road

All are around one square mile although their population, demographics and government are vastly different.

The golden rays of magic hour on my street.

While Hoboken and Weehawken adopt a mayor-council type of government, Union City has a non-partisan commission form of government. In essence, the former operates as a town and the later as a city.

Blue skies above Casa Azul.

Weehawken has the largest land area of the three and is the least populated, with an estimated fifteen thousand plus per the 2016 census. Hoboken is next with over fifty thousand, and Union City tops them with almost seventy thousand.

Front window view on a clear & on a gray day.

Union City is a working class community and is home to one of Hudson County's three homeless shelters - Palisades Emergency Residence Corporation (PERC).


Grand old maple tree out back.

It is home to many notable landmarks and a rich thriving multi media and cultural artist community.

I take pride in being a local resident once more of this delightful neighborhood.


Pretty neighborhood church.

No comments:

Post a Comment